Free Download: Windows
Right-click here and save JNotePad.jar to your desktop, and run from its icon.
There is nothing to install -- just place the JAR file on your desktop.
Requires the Java SE 1.5 (or better) Runtime Environment.
Free Download: Mac
Click here to save JNotePad.dmg to your desktop, and run from its icon.
Drag-and-drop the JNotePad folder to the Applications folder to install.
Then discard JNotePad.dmg -- it is no longer necessary.
Requires Mac OSx.
Version 2.1, April 17, 2012
- Loses "return 0;" in C++ "int main".
- New, compiler-independent C++ floating point formatting/unformatting templates.
- Adds command-key accelerators for Mac.
- Adds right-click menu for Mac.
- Added "normal font" and "large font" menu options.
- Adds C++ online documentation.
Version 2.0a, June 14, 2007
- Comments with compile and rum commands generalized to all OSs by writing file separator as forward-slash instead of back-slash.
- Duplicate menu item names "Open A Named File" distinguished by adding "In A Named Folder"
- Java try/catch, System.out.println(), and BorderLayout. menu items moved from OOP menu to parent menu.
- "Java" added to File menu items that pertain specifically to Java.
- "Function" changed to "Method" in Java menus.
Version 2, February 9, 2007
- Templates revised to match "Introduction To Programming" By Robert Burns
- Adds basic code templates for C++ and Java.
- Moves Java code templates from earlier versions to "Advanced" submenu.
- Removes some Java code templates.
- Updates the API URL to Java SDK version 1.6.0
- Adds separate templates for C++ with or without "using namespace std;".
- Adds larger font sizes.
Version 1.4a, May 19, 2004
- Corrects Java->Imaging Features->in an Applet, which was a blank template.
- Includes more complete connection strings for the Java->Database Access templates.
- Removes extraneous code from Java->Window Features->Keyboard Shortcuts->Menu Shortcut template.
- Updates the API URL to Java SDK version 1.4.2
- Adds separate templates for Java 1 Applets and Java 2 JApplets.
Version 1.4, December 8, 2003
- Adds templates for I/O objects, try/catch, and anonymous classes.
- Adds template for load URL-based images.
- Adds file template for C++, and includes .cpp and .h files in the file->open dialog.
- Adds .txt files in the file->open dialog.
- Adds font selections, and applies window font to printed output.
- Adds MediaTracker to template for jarred application images.
- Adds compile, run, and jar instructions as comments in .java template-generated files.
- Adds F3 as another way to invoke edit->find and edit->find next.
- Adds Ctrl-Shift-Z sequence to switch between tab pains.
- Allows dropping of dragged files onto content area, as well as the tab bar.
Version 1.3, August 3, 2003
- Adds template for servlet-aware beans.
- Adds templates for SQL database access.
- Adds <shortname/> to web.xml custom tag descriptor template.
- HttpServletResponse and HttpServletRequest objects added to custom tag template.
- Added choice for with/without attribute to custom tag handler template.
- Puts correct OS-dependent EOL on newly created files saved with File->Save As
- Sets focus to editable area when JNotePad's window is reactivated.
Version 1.2e, January 6, 2003
- Corrects syntax error in 1st line of servlet template.
- Corrects lost status line when cursor reaches end of file.
Version 1.2d, November 10, 2002
- Opens files with CR and/or LF EOL markers, and saves with system-specific EOL markers.
Version 1.2c, October 31, 2002
- setDefaultCloseOperation(WindowConstants.DO_NOTHING_ON_CLOSE); included with WindowListener.
- Frame object "this" added to window centering and window icon code.
- getContentPane(); added to swing template.
- Separate keyboard shortcuts for menus and buttons added.
- Custom tags simplified.
- HTML and WML templates added.
- HTML prologue included in HTML-based templates.
- Servlet and Custom Tag templates expanded to include JSP "implicit objects".
- File->Open and ->SaveAs remember the file type selection.
- File->SaveAs appends file type if not specified.
Version 1.2b, July 16, 2002
- When JNotePad was closed via the system, and Cancel was pressed in the "Do you want to save..." dialog, the window disappeared. This is fixed.
- Modified to work with JDK 1.2 and 1.3 -- some File->New-> features only worked in 1.4.
- JDK running JNotePad is now listed in Help->About
Version 1.2a, May 31, 2002
- Ctrl-S added as a short-cut key for the File->Save menu command
- Templates for Custom Tags, Beans, and web.xml file added.
- Support for imaging in applications and applets added.
- Online documentation link updated to JDK1.4.
- Online documentation link added for servlets.
- ListSelectionListener template added.
- MRU feature modified to remember saved files.
- "File->Save" fixed so that the filename does not disappear when a folder is selected.
- May not work well in Windows OS with True Color setting.
Version 1.2, March 31, 2002
- New submenu added with code for window centering, icon, look&feel, button/menu item shortcut keys, and a JTextComponent with a Document listener.
- New submenu added with code for treaded multitasking with threaded loops and sleep statements.
- Listener submenu items modified to allow direct use with anonymous inner classes.
- Changes show() to setVisible(true) in JFrame template.
Version 1.1b, February 19, 2002
- Adds double-buffering to display to avoid garbled text.
- Corrects missing tag in JavaServer Page template.
Version 1.1a, December 12, 2001
- Loads files in threads to avoid delay in response to mouse control.
- Adds .toString() shortcut key, Ctrl-T.
- Adds BorderLayout. shortcut key, Ctrl-B.
- Adds JavaServer Page template.
- Adds Java Servlet template.
- Corrects hanging problem when only open file is closed.
Version 1.1, November 6, 2001
- Bottom status bar changed from a JTextField to a JLabel
- Online Update Status added to Help menu
- "J" icon added to main window
- Prompts added for class and package name when creating a new Java file
- Two types of Java windows application files included: AWT and Swing
- MRU feature added to File menu
- Java menu code insertions changed -- no leading spaces included anymore
- Filenames automatically assigned to new files created with the New-> option
- Uses JNotePad.ini file to remember last window placement and last folder accessed
- Caret position now automatically moves to undo/redo location
- Fixes line number display to show correct line number
- Adds to bottom status bar the ASCII code of character after caret
- Changes F3 shortcut key for Find Next to Ctrl-N; adds Ctrl-F for Find's shortcut
- Removes shortcut keys for Java menu's class, for, and main options
Version 1.0, October 14, 2001